• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

suggestions for eating healthy, while detoxing?

tyler5

Bluelighter
hey,

what are some basic staple health foods which are good for you, provide enough calories/energy for some occasional cardio exercise (biking, running) and are easy to make as in you take the apple/pear/cherries from the fridge and start eating - meaning there would be little to no preparation, i really suck at cooking, sandwiches are the best i can do basically :\:)

where i live, 99% of fruits/veggies are imported from far away and therefore usually pumped with chemicals etc to preserve the fruit longer than is natural but i still think its better to eat slightly "modified" veggies/fruits etc. than to mostly rely on "junk" like frozen microwave food (the worst imho), stuff from fast food chains etc.
but since living/eating healthy probably cant be reached by exclusively eating fresh/raw fruits&veggies, at least not where i live as the variety/selection available in stores is too limited.

so approximately what percentage of daily food intake could consist of raw fruits/veggies when the choice of them is typical for a country deep in the north.
and even if i lived in the tropics, im thinking i should still consume other types of food cause its hard to reach the normal daily calory intake with just fruits/vegs, am i right?
so what other types of foods should i definitely consume on a regular basis that are healthy and provide good nutrients but at the same time do not require any extensive cooking?

for example, i enjoy rice foods, whether fried or cooked. i really like prawns with a good sauce a plenty of rice. the problem is i can only find this type of food in restaurants and the prices are extremely high, probably cause prawns are expensive as it is.
the times ive tried cooking rice, the outcome has been pretty bad. the grains are 'wet/slimy' on the outside and some of them 'pop/explode' in my mouth when chewing, like they have water or something in them. makes it hard to swallow the mouthful without adding a sip of water. the taste is also very different to the awesome rice ive had in various places but i think that comes down to herbs/spices etc. its just that my cooked rice has a totally different look and texture (glossy/swollen) as opposed to the plain, white, slim, non-glowing - meaning the grains do not look damp or wet - rice sold in dishes at ethnic restaurants. i have no idea whether its because the restaurant chefs use entirely different cooking methods, different hardware like a rice cooker used in Asian countries. ive never even seen a rice cooker.

any supplements i should take after the healthy meal?
omega-3, fish oil capsules, Centrum brand multivitamin - what else would be beneficial to someone detoxing/WDing primarily from benzos? but im planning on tapering from an opioid too so anything thats good to have during those times and is available OTC at the pharmacy, please let me know.

EDIT: also, what is your opinion on consuming Centrum multivitamins which expired 05/2010. i found a bottle of 30 and its almost full.
i believe they were bought about a year ago, heres the question - do the multivitamin capsules:
a) just lose some of the potency over time and its otherwise safe to still consume them after the official expired date, or
b) over time they expire and are not recommended for consumption for safety purposes because the various substances in the multivitamin tab have expired as in gone 'bad' or 'sour', hehe.

thank You in advance for all Your replys

Last edited:
Eat non-processed foods only. I like to keep things simple (as a vegetarian), so I stick with a few staples: brown rice, quinoa, couscous. Couscous is my favorite because of the taste, texture, and the fact that it takes about 5 minutes to prepare. Stick with whole grains.

I also eat a lot of beans (garbanzo, great northern, black beans, etc...). Good source of protein and complex (I think) carbs. Whole grains an beans are great energy for cardio and biking, etc...

Try to find a farmer's market around you (you live in Europe, aren't there markets around you!?). Buy local produce if possible.

I supplement with multi-vitamin and flaxseed.

You can get enough calories with only raw, whole foods. Please avoid processed foods if you wish to detox.

Some high-calorie raw foods:
avocados
nuts and seeds, almonds or sunflower seeds are good for you. Cashews.. ehhhhh.
bananas
avocados
Root vegetables excluding potatoes

Listen to your body.
Avocados.

grapenuts, toast, and hard boiled eggs with the yolk removed are my dopesick staples. doublemint gum helps with the nausea too.

I would possibly also look into foods or other food based products that help release natural endorphins for the brain.. Exercise on top of a good diet will also help with detoxing. Since it as well releases some good o endorphins during exercise..

As mentioned, stay away from processed foods. Especially ones with Lots of additives.

As far as the vitamins. You should be alright.

I wonder if Kratom would help one help detox though have not done kratom yet. Am aware that it is supposed to hit some opioid receptors though if not mistaken.